Thursday, March 1, 2012

Much Marcle, Herefordshire


On the curve

I remember a few years ago a conversation with a friend about garages and what they look like, how most of them are either very boring or very unpleasant to look at, but now and then, one stands out from the crowd. Before long, one of us said, ‘Do you know the garage on the road between Ledbury and Ross on Wye, at Much Marcle?’ and the other one instantly said, ‘Yes! Isn’t it terrific!’ We’d both been admiring the building for years, and I can’t remember which of us mentioned it first. There are several things I like about it. The way it stands at a slight angle to the junction. The gentle curve of the roof, a curve followed by the attractive lettering on the front. The mixture of corrugated iron and wood. The building began life as a World War I aircraft hangar. It was bought by the Weston’s Cider Company, who are based nearby, in 1926, and they used it to maintain their vehicles as well as offering a general garage service. In the 1990s, Weston’s sold it, and it continues as a garage serving the general public.

Not everyone admires this kind of thing, of course. It doesn’t happen often that I find myself at odds with the Shell Guides, old books that I admire because they still have a lot to tell us about architecture and the sense of place. In the 1955 Herefordshire guide, author David Verey found much to like in Much Marcle, but his admiration was ‘in spite of its approach from the Ledbury road being marked by an ugly new garage’. Verey couldn’t wait to get on to the village’s old church and houses, the place’s polite architecture, as they say. I, on the other hand, wanted to linger here on the main road, taking in this small landmark as the motorcyclists whizzed by enjoying the challenging mix of bends and straights on the way to Ross and perhaps themselves registering, through an eye corner, a curving metal roof and a painted garage sign.

* * *
Footnote: Garagistes may like another post that I did a while back, about two garages in Upton on Severn.

10 comments:

bazza said...

I don't want to enlarge your head Philip but this is exactly the kind of post that keeps me returning to your blog! Your un-biased eye is sure in it's recognition of what many (including myself) would miss.
These days I 'look up' a lot more.
Incidentally, your might enjoy my latest post. Possibily.
Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

Philip Wilkinson said...

Bazza: Thank you. And yes, I did like your Georgian doors.

worm said...

Exactly the sort of thing I love! Shame it doesn't still have old petrol pumps outside too

Philip Wilkinson said...

Worm: Indeed. Especially if the pumps offered some obscure brand of petrol liked Excelsior or Proteus.

Murgatroyd said...

I pass this garage on a regular basis and it is still one of my favourite buildings. I'm delighted that it is still a very busy and much used place.
You've just reminded me of this very short piece of film about Much Marcle made by Claude Freise Greene from the 1920's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZb38SUSfE4

Philip Wilkinson said...

Murgatroyd: Thank you very much. The garage is one of those landmark buildings that I always notice when I pass.
The Claude Friese Greene footage is very evocative. I intend to watch more from The Open Road.

The Vintage Knitter said...

This is the sort of building that attracts me too - fascinating to know that it was originally a WWI hanger. I drove into Upton-upon-Severn a couple of weeks ago and admired the Regal Garage with its super frontage and Art Deco style lettering. All it needed was to have a couple of classic cars parked outside for the full effect.

Philip Wilkinson said...

VK: I did a post ages ago about the Upton garages (there's another down a side street, very different) - although my photograph of the Regal Garage was dominated not by the building but by one of the amazing red trucks that they have there. The Upton post is here.

Jon Dudley said...

There are precious few of these roadside garages left these days. Thank you for reminding us of a quieter, if more breakdown-fraught age of motoring.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Jon: Good to hear from you. Yes, so many roadside garages have disappeared: it seems difficult to make much money at the business. And few that are left are as stylish as the one in my Much Marcle post.