Friday, April 6, 2018

Rodley, Gloucestershire


Six of the best: Old iron

Since my last two posts – one on a house clad in corrugated iron in Mordiford, Herefordshire, one featuring pages from a catalogue of Edwardian corrugated-iron buildings, I thought I do one of my very occasional ‘round-up’ posts, offering links to ‘six of the best’ of my corrugated iron posts.

These are just some of my personal favourites among the various buildings I’ve shared that make use of the wriggly tin in some way. I hope they combine variety and local colour in a way that pleases my readers. Here are the links:

A colourful small railway building

A plotland house near the Severn

A favourite garage on a bendy road near the Welsh border

A rusty barn roof

A bizarrely curving ‘hot tin roof’

A charming rural church

The church, at Rodley in Gloucestershire, is a personal favourite. It’s shown in my photograph above, which I took when I returned to find the laburnum in flower, which it was not when I first discovered the building.

2 comments:

Hels said...

Your railway building showed that corrugated iron pieces could be measured up and cut off site, brought to the building site by a horse and carriage, erected on site without problems and kept in good condition over the years.
Cheap, efficient and smart enough.

Joe Treasure said...

Great to see these all together Phil. I saw what looked like a corrugated iron chapel converted into a house last week while strolling through Bridge, near Canterbury, and thought of you. I stopped to take a photo (taking care, first, to apply the brake on my grandson's pushchair). The nearby Victorian schoolhouse, also converted, looked more appealing as a place to live.