Thursday, April 16, 2020

Wellington Place, London


Taxi!

Most of my friends read a lot, and quite a few of them write books too. One of the most frequent mustn’t-grumble-glass-half-full-look-on-the-bright-side remarks I’ve heard from them since the virus made itself felt and we began to face up to time in isolation is along the lines of, ‘Well, at least I have lots of books to read’. Thinking about this the other day, I glanced along some of my shelves to reassure myself – as if anyone with thousands of books needed any reassurance – that there’s plenty that I’d like to read or re-read. At one point in this process, I looked at the handful of books I have by the journalist and travel writer H. V. Morton.¶ One, The Nights of London, fell open at a page describing a visit to a cabmen’s shelter. Of course! Something else I’d not got round to blogging about.

Green, wooden, and topped with rather fancy half-hipped roofs with a central ventilation louvre, cabmen’s shelters are easy to recognise – a small but distinguished building type that works, looks good, and is distinctive without sticking out like a sore thumb. They’ve existed since 1875, when the Cabmen’s Shelter Fund* was set up to build them, the purpose being to supply refreshments to cab drivers – originally the drivers of horse-drawn Hansom cabs – who could not park outside pubs and go inside without paying someone to mind the cab while they ate.

The size of the shelters was limited – they’re not supposed to be larger than a horse and cart, so as not to pose too much of an obstruction on the roads. In all, 61 were built, although now only 13 remain. The first was in St John’s Wood, not this one, which stands near St John’s Wood High Street, but in Acacia Road, to the northwest. The idea was that the shelters were for the use of cab drivers only – they only have room for ten or a dozen people inside – and I have never been inside one.§ My friend Peter Ashley, who can charm his way into all kinds of interesting situations, once got invited inside one, finding it both welcoming and cosy.†

Cab drivers are among the many groups whose work is ebbing away as a result of the virus. There are already plenty of examples of them helping the community. One hopes that they will continue to receive the support pioneered by organisations such as the admirable Cabmen’s Shelter Fund.

- - - - -

¶ Morton was famous as the first journalist to report the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb, and for driving around Britain in a bull-nosed Morris and writing about what he saw in newspaper columns and books.

* Their initials, CSF, are usually visible in the decoration under the eaves.

§ I think some have occasionally been open on London Open House Weekends. The one in my photograph is apparently now a café open to all, but I didn't realise this as I photographed it early in the morning when it was closed for business.

† See his book London Peculiars (ACC Art Books, 2019). Peter also posts his beautiful photographs on Instagram: @unmitigatedpete

13 comments:

Hels said...

Thank goodness the Cabmen’s Shelter Fund were successful in setting up the buildings and preserving them. I am impressed with both their important function and their readily identifiable architecture. But why the green colour? To blend in with the trees?

bazza said...

I've seen several of these around London. There's one at the junction of Northumberland Avenue and Embankment Place. Most are still used regularly by London taxi drivers.
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s instantly intransigent Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

marcusweeks said...

Hmmm. HV Morton ... any relation to JB Morton ("Beachcomber")? Is there any link to the recurrent list of Huntingdonshire cabmen?

Cathy said...

Thank you for posting this today. These buildings are just delightful.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Marcus: I don't know of any family connection between H V and J B. They both had fathers who were journalists (one an editor, one a literary journalist), interestingly.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Hels: I've wondered why they're green. A lot of them are nowhere near any trees. Someone's early aesthetic preference, maybe. Perhaps even the desire to make them stand out, so cabmen could see them clearly. I wonder what they looked like in the old London fogs.

Jan Marsh said...

the idea was the initiative i believe of the theatre impresario Squire Bancroft who like actors and audiences customarily took a hansom home after each performance and learned how cab drivers spent a lot of time waiting around in the rain. i think that's why the first was in St Johns Wood near the Bancorfts'home

Philip Wilkinson said...

Jan: Bancroft was certainly involved in some way. He funded trhe shelter in Russell Square.

Hels said...

Philip

have a look at https://exploring-london.com/2020/04/20/wheres-londons-oldest-surviving-cabmens-shelter/ in the blog "Exploring London". The greens are not vaguely similar... they are VERY similar.

Be healthy
Hels

Philip Wilkinson said...

Thank you, Hels. Very interesting piece. Stay well. Philip

Evelyn said...

I'm sure I've seen one or two of these buildings because I had a sudden shock of recognition. English architecture is surely a unique venture I'll give you all that! Now I have something to specifically look for on my next go round. It helps when you know the history, doesn't it?
Thanks ! The Castle Lady

Philip Wilkinson said...

Evelyn: I'm sure you've seen these. There are quite a few dotted around central London, and they're easy to half-see as one rushes around, as one does in London, I find!

Molly Turner said...

My grandfather was a cabbie, horse drawn Hansom cabs first, motor canbs later
He lived in Lisson Grove and stood under the canopy outside Marylebone Station to pick up customers. He also used the horse trough in Wellington Place, next to the Cabman's cafe. My Mum told me all that as she walked me that way to Barrow Hill primary school.