Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Deddington, Oxfordshire


This is the creature that was never seen…

Looking rather soulfully down at potential customers is this three-dimensional sign on the Unicorn Inn in the Oxfordshire town of Deddington. I’m kicking myself for not having noticed it before, as it’s an appealing sign. But perhaps these days it’s not as affective an eye-catcher as it was – driving past, you are apt to be dodging other vehicles in the town’s busy market place, which is made narrow by parked cars. Walking along the pavement, the sign is easy to miss as you pass, being tucked on its ledge, its white body set against the pale background of the wall behind.

When you do see it, though, it’s arresting, the golden bits helping its white body to stand out against the white wall, and it’s one of those bits of folk art that’s worth admiring. And what a fine and distinctive creature to put on your inn – mythical, enigmatic, elusive (‘This is the creature there has never been,’ begins Rilke’s sonnet on the beast, in J B Leishman’s translation), and yet instantly identifiable all the same.

I’ve managed to miss the Tate Gallery’s exhibition of Folk Art in London, but intend to catch it at Compton Verney soon. I’m hoping that it includes some pub signs – both painted and three-dimensional – along with the marvellous ships’ figureheads, shop signs, felt pictures, and other delights I’ve seen illustrating reviews of the show. Traditional inn signs, it seems to me, offer a terrific opportunity to display works of art out of doors, and the nature of the genre dictates that they be clear, easy to read, and characterful. Even though I found it hard to spot, Deddington’s unicorn makes up in character what it lacks in other ways: it seems to fit the bill.

- - -

If you like this sort of thing, I’ve noticed a few other three-dimensional inn signs on my travels. They include: the uniquely named Dying Gladiator at Brigg, Lincolnshire; the splendid, gold-maned White Lion at Upton on Severn, Worcestershire; the Old Sugar Loaf at Dunstable, Bedfordshire; and the Swan at Wells, Somerset (with musical bonus).

6 comments:

mondoagogo said...

I always liked the one at the top of the Chandos on by Trafalgar Square, it's a cooper making a barrel. He's way up by the roof so it's easy to miss him, but he's animatronic and you can watch him hammering.

Evelyn said...

Seeing as how that innocent-looking unicorn is white against a white background with only the mane, horn and tail in gold I can see how it could be missed. I'm sure you're not the first to do a double take. Nice find, by the way !
The Castle Lady

Philip Wilkinson said...

Anna: The cooper is great. I used to walk past him often, but I must admit I didn't know he was animatronic. You live and learn!

Philip Wilkinson said...

Evelyn: Thank you. It's both the white on white effect and the fact that there are so many distractions. I drove through Deddington again this afternoon and there were cars and vans appearing from all directions, keeping my eyes busy. It's good, though, to see a small town bustling.

Eileen Wright said...

What a totally delightful Unicorn. Such a lovely find, Philip. You've reminded me of a pub sign in Seaton, East Devon, where I live. One of those things that are so familiar that I forget to take a photo of. It's a humungous life-size lion completely painted in gold, above a shop doorway (No prizes for guessing the former pub's name!).

Philip Wilkinson said...

Eileen: Thanks for the tip about the Seaton lion. I found him online by googling: a magnificent beast.