Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Trowbridge, Wiltshire

 

Palatial

The other day I found myself in Trowbridge, strolling around the town centre looking at the rich mixture of industrial and domestic buildings that contribute so much to the visual character of this town. The industry was cloth-production, and I’ve already posted an example of its architecture – the Handle House for drying teasels, with its remarkable pierced brick walls. Here’s an outstanding domestic building, one of the palatial clothier’s houses built in the 18th century. I like this one in Fore Street, built for Nathaniel Houlton in the early-18th century, for its baroque features. What I mean by this is the quirks of design that take it beyond the highly satisfying but straightforward classical ‘box with sash windows’ that gets its effect mainly from its pleasing proportions. I’m thinking of the banded pilasters, the heavy string course and cornice, and above all the handling of the central part of the frontage. This breaks away from the standard window sizes with narrow, round-arched windows on either side of the doorway and central window. The whole central bay steps forward from the flanking bays, and then the central section of this bay is emphasised with columns (Tuscan on the ground floor, Corinthian above), above which the cornice and strong course break forward still more than the rest of the bay. Much effort has been put into all these design details, and they’re set off to advantage in glorious ashlar limestone masonry. The facade is one of many quiet triumphs in this town.

On my recent visit to Trowbridge I did not have with me the new edition of the Pevsner volume for Wiltshire, which is published this week. I see it covers this house and many more, pointing out details that will no doubt send me back to the town, looking again and finding buildings I’ve missed before. I plan to review the book some time during the next few weeks, but I’m already finding it both useful and absorbing.

Endnote My apologies to the 40 readers who saw this post when it was headed Trowbridge, Worcestershire. Trowbridge, of course, has never been in Worcestershire and for it to be so would entail a boundary change that is unimaginable, even in the context of the mess that has been made of county boundaries in the past. Call it a slip of the finger, or a brain in neutral.  


5 comments:

wiltshireflagman said...

Parade House has recently been purchased and is being restored by a local couple. A series of open days was scheduled over the Jubilee weekend and there are future plans for use as an events venue. Previously this fine building had been unused for ten years and prior to that for over 100 years the headquarters of Ushers brewery.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Thank you for this informative comment. I hope the plans for use as an events venue come to fruition – it looks as if it would make a lovely venue.

Simon Tesler said...

If you are indeed passing through Trowbridge again, do let us know. As the new owners of Parade House, we would be very happy to show you around the inside of the property.

Philip Wilkinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philip Wilkinson said...

Simon: Thank you! I do still hope to return, and will certainly let you know when I plan to do so.